no message or dialog when a DLL is missing

Igor Peshansky pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Thu Aug 24 16:47:00 GMT 2006

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006, Pierre Baillargeon wrote:

> Igor Peshansky wrote:
>
> > You really haven't given us enough to go on here.  What is the
> > program, which DLL is it missing, how do you know it requires it, etc,
> > etc.
>
> I know, because it's a program I wrote. It's a DLL loaded by the Windows
> loader. It's *not* from LoadLibrary() nor dlopen().

What compiler was used to build the program?  What does "cygcheck
YOURPROGRAM" say?  Is this a Cygwin program or a pure Windows one?  If a
pure Windows one built with, say, MSVC, see if you can get the same
problem when using "gcc -mno-cygwin"...

> I also know because when launched in cmd.exe, I get the usual Windows
> dialog about missing DLL. It's the same dialog when you double-click on
> the executable in Windows Explorer. The name of the DLL would not tell
> you much, since one of our own DLL.
>
> I was mostly curious why the difference in behavior and how to get the
> "standard" behavior instead of silent failure.

We'd have to look and see.  Please try to reduce it down to a minimal
reproducible testcase (i.e., one that simply tries to load a DLL, with the
DLL itself being an empty library), and post it along with build
instructions.  We'll then see if there is something in Cygwin that
prevents the pop-up.

> I suspected that the way cygwin launches program was by first supressing
> system dialogs. ( I don't remember the trick off hand, but I remember
> reading about it about how to supress error dialogs when accessing
> CD-ROM drives that may not contain media.)

It's certainly possible to do this in Windows, but I doubt Cygwin goes
into that much effort to avoid popping up the missing DLL dialogs.  Once
we see your testcase, we can think of further steps to track it down.  I'm
not ruling out a bug in Cygwin, but we need to be able to reproduce the
symptoms before we can pass judgement.
HTH,
	Igor
--