copying and pasting in the terminal window?

John Salerno johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com
Thu Aug 24 15:26:00 GMT 2006

John Salerno wrote:
> Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
>
>>> Cygwin also has an rxvt terminal emulator that may be more to your
>>> liking, but I haven't used it and so can't tell you what it's like.
>>
>> It's awesome, if you're still using the DOS box change over immediately.
>> Believe me now and thank me later.
>
> Yes, it is quite nice. But I'm a little stuck. I'm trying to edit the
> .bashrc file with vim, so I type 'vim .bashrc', and nothing happens. The
> cursor moves down to the next line, but vim isn't really being invoked,
> the file doesn't open, but I also don't get any error message saying
> that bash can't find the vim command. I'm not sure why I won't work.
>
> Also, is there a way to change the color of the user name and
> directories that appear above the $ prompt? I find the bright green and
> pale yellow not very easy to read with my white background.
>
> Thanks.

Well, nevermind about the colors, because after doing some editing to
the .bashrc file, this fixed things. But I still had to open up the file
with a separate editor, because vim isn't working!