Problem with physical memory detected

Václav Haisman v.haisman@sh.cvut.cz
Tue Aug 22 13:18:00 GMT 2006

Stephane Goarzin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed cygwin on a Windows 2000 Server with 4GB of RAM, but when I execute
> vmstat only 2GB are detected. I did the manipulation explain in the topic
> "Changing Cygwin's Maximum Memory" but it had no effect. Is it a restriction of
> cygwin or is there any solution ?
>
> Thank's for help.
>
> Regards.
With the default settings, usually, on any 32bit OS, including Win2k and
Linux and FreeBSD, there is only 2G of virtual memory accessible for
user process. The other 2G part is for kernel to use. Each OS has some
knobs that you can turn to change the ratio to 3:1 or some other split.
But there is always a part that is just for kernel to use, inaccessible
to user process.

--
VH