removing Cygwin: the nuclear option

Paul S R Chisholm dtjta3402@sneakemail.com
Tue Aug 22 03:22:00 GMT 2006

I'm working on an automated Cygwin install and uninstall. I think I've got the
uninstall, but I wanted to know if my approach is wise.

The first step is to run "cygrunsrv --list" to find all the Cygwin services,
and then run "cygrunsrv --stop" and "cygrunsrv --remove" on each of them.

The second is to remove all the files (this is a line from a Windows batch
file, not a Cygwin shell script):

    rmdir /s /q %CYGWIN_HOME%

The third is to get rid of all the registry entries:

    reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions" /f
    reg delete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions" /f

The "reg" command is installed on all systems running Windows XP and Windows
Server 2003, and can be installed on Windows 2000. I understand that's not good
enough for all cases, but it suits my needs.

Too much, too little, just right?  --PSRC