change in behavior of make from 3.80 to 3.81

Igor Peshansky pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Tue Aug 15 03:17:00 GMT 2006

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006, William A. Hoffman wrote:

> OK, so to summarize.
>
> - there is no options or special syntax that will allow the
> make 3.81 to recognize drive letters in such a way that native
> windows tools can use them.

Correct.

> /c/ and /cygdrive/c/ will only work with applications built against
> the cygwin libraries.

Also correct.

> MS cl can no longer be used with cygwin make as of 3.81.

Incorrect.  See below.

> - cygwin will no longer maintain the patch to make that allowed
          ^maintainer                 ^cygwin-specific
> it to recognize driver letters in paths.

Correct.

> - A second make-winpath as part of the cygwin package is not an option
> that would be accepted into cygwin.

Not unless it comes from upstream, yes.

> - The option for folks that want the old behavior is to have the change
> integrated into the upstream sources of gmake.

One option, yes.

> Perhaps something along the lines of /c/ that would be translated by
> gmake itself into c:, so that no special parsing would be required for
> the makefiles.

Yuck!  Maybe have them simply accept the --win32 option or recognize the
MAKE_MODE environment variable, like Cygwin make used to do?

> - The other option is to use mingw-make, and only use cygwin make
> for cygwin linked programs only.

Incorrect.  If you use Cygwin make, it's very easy to invoke Windows
programs by converting their arguments with "cygpath -w" (or, barring
that, with a perl or sed script).  I've done that, others have done that.
If you are generating the code to invoke the Microsoft cl compiler, simply
use something like $(foreach f,$^,$(shell cygpath -w $f)) as the argument
to cl.

> Sounds like it is time to join the gmake mailing list.  Has anyone
> on this list tried that yet?

If you are asking whether anyone has posted a suggestion to add Win32 path
support to make, why not check the archives[1]?  FWIW, the make-w32
list[2] might be a better starting point.
HTH,
	Igor
[1] <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-make/>
[2] <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/make-w32/>