CFLAGS error when building cygwin.dll from snapshot download

Howard Thomson howard.thomson@dial.pipex.com
Mon Aug 14 12:45:00 GMT 2006

Hi all,

I am attempting to build a modified cygwin[x].dll in order to incorporate some
changes to the retained Windows ACLs (Access Control Lists), for which a
replacement winsup/cygwin/sec_acl.cc has been written by Srinivasa Battula.

I normally do cross-compilation from Linux to Win32 but in this case it
appears to be much(!) easier to install Cygwin on Win XP and do ./configure;
make etc there, however ...

The build fails for the current Cygwin install and the source snapshot from
2006-08-10 with an error report as follows (approx):

configure: configuring in libc
configure: running /bin/sh ' ... /newlib/libc/configure' .....
configure: error 'CFLAGS' has changed since the previous run:
configure: former value  -O2 -g -O2
configure: current value: -O2 -g -O2

This is without any 'previous run' !

Has anyone any ideas, seeing as the download page for snapshots asserts that
snapshots are only released for download if they successfully build ?

Howard Thomson

--
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
and I'm not sure about the former." -- Albert Einstein