reproducible cygwin memory problems

emacs user emacs_user@hotmail.com
Sun Aug 13 23:46:00 GMT 2006

>From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>

>If I don't miss anything, it remains to be explained why the OP didn't
>see problems with normal buffers.  Could the OP please try visiting
>several large text files, then kill their buffers, invoke the
>`garbage-collect' function ("M-x garbage-collect RET"), and see if the
>memory footprint returns to its original value?

starting emacs -Q: 12,832k
editing a large test file (43,085,936), emacs memory goes up to 55,028k
killing : emacs uses 13,070
and M-x garbage-collect 13,100 or so,

so far it seems that tmemory is returned.  however, using emacs a bit more,
opening and killing buffers, eventually does lead to memory increase even
after I kill all buffers and do garbage-collect.

>A few more tests come to mind:
>
>   . Put a breakpoint in sbrk and in mmap, and find out which one is
>     being called when normal text files and image files (both small
>     and large) are visited.

could you please write which .c files and which routines should I be looking
at slightly more specifically?  thanks...