memory problems with cvs gnu emacs on latest cygwin

emacs user emacs_user@hotmail.com
Fri Aug 4 03:00:00 GMT 2006

>From: Reini Urban
>emacs user schrieb:
>
>     I have reported this problem to the gnu emacs developers a few
>times, but it seems that emacs is not actively maintained for cygwin
>right now. perhaps someone here can help? I am happy to provide more
>details if needed. thanks...
>
>     A brief problem description:
>
>     memory usage of emacs does not decrease after killing buffers
>with images.
>

>This is lisp (emacs lisp), so it's a feature not a bug.

thanks for responding, although this is incorrect, please see below.

>     emacs.exe -q --no-site-file&
>     the memory usage right after startup is 14912;
>     after editing a small image: 16452;
>     after killing the buffer with the image and using
>     M-:(clear-image-cache t)RET: 16476;     after editing a large image:
>39164;
>     again quit+clear cache: 34484;
>     edit small+medium+large images: 58936;
>     quit+clear: 87636... (increased!)
>

>overall memory usage in most lisp's doesn't decrease on released
>     objects. memory usage is reclaimed when the garbage collector
>     starts its walk, which happens when there's not enough memory.

that's actually not true.  the simple observation is that the bug I
describe does not occur on other platforms such as gnu/Linux.  memory
is returned to the operating system after the buffer is killed.

best, EU