1.5.20(0.156/4/2) pipe hangs, dos files

Brian Ford Brian.Ford@FlightSafety.com
Thu Aug 3 14:07:00 GMT 2006

On Thu, 3 Aug 2006, Darryl Miles wrote:
> Brian Ford wrote:
> > Doesn't this explain the problem nicely?
> >
> > http://www.cygwin.com//ml/cygwin-patches/2004-q4/msg00018.html
>
> Yes that casts light on the problem.  Did you get around to trying to
> reverse the direction of the data flow through the pipe or any other
> similar testing to form a conclusion ?

No, I (and IIRC, the Cygwin community)  didn't.  I don't know if the OP
did or not as he seemed to dissapear shortly after that.

It hasn't been a priority for me or my company, so I haven't looked into
it.  I just have a good memory for finding these things in the archives
;-).

> The problem here is that I am a Unix person,

Same here.

> this is the principal reason why CYGWIN appeals to me.  So I really dont
> have the motivation to "investigate" the matter and hunt down
> undocumented platform quirks.
>   The FILE_PIPE_LOCAL_INFORMATION is also an undocumented use of
> NtQueryInformationFile.

Yes, I remember that in the discussion.

> I do have the energy to work on my proposal to implement until
> completion but even that it a little mared by the possibility of having
> such a patch rejected by the committers.

Been there, done that ;-).

--
Brian Ford
Lead Realtime Software Engineer