Redirecting bash stdin

Dave kilroyd@googlemail.com
Sun Apr 30 15:52:00 GMT 2006

Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] wrote:
> Have you tried piping into "bash -s"?  Probably won't be any different
> than the other piping you've tried, but maybe it will.

I've just tried this - it doesn't affect the behaviour.

 >>Eric Blake wrote:
 >>> A simple test case is a necessity if you expect help debugging this.

I've finally got the test case to show the behaviour I'm seeing in my
application. Find it attached.

Instructions to reproduce
-------------------------

1. Compile the testcase as:

g++ -g -mno-cygwin -pedantic -Wall -W -o min_tc.exe min_tc.cc

2. Confirm you have Windows notepad in your path :)

which notepad

3. Identify a text file in your home directory to open. I'll use gdbtk.ini

4. Execute the 'working' case:

./min_tc notepad gdbtk.ini

    - a few seconds pause while the bash login shell is starting
    - notepad opens with your textfile (or a messagebox saying it can't
fnid it). You can leave this open, or close it.
    - 10 second pause while the test case sleeps
    - returned to your prompt

5. Execute the 'non-working' case:

./min_tc notepad \`cygpath -u gdbtk.ini\`

    - a long pause (bash startup + 10s sleep)
    - almost simultaneous opening of notepad and return to shell

NB In order to clearly see the difference in behaviour, it is useful
to run the command from a shell which only displays its prompt after
the command has completed. This rules out command.com and cmd.exe,
although they exhibit the same issue.

Any help figuring out what's causing the delayed execution is much
appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave.
PS now running bash 3.1-6
PPS yes, that is as minimal as I could get the test case. Apologies.