"Ghost" processes on Cygwin

mwoehlke mwoehlke-nospam@tibco.com
Wed Apr 26 23:26:00 GMT 2006

mwoehlke wrote:
> Volker Quetschke wrote:
>> mwoehlke wrote:
>>> I'm seeing something funny. While trying to build a large program on
>>> Cygwin using cl.exe (i.e. I am building a non-Cygwin app; just using
>>> Cygwin to drive 'make'), every now and then, cl.exe hangs. Before you
>>> tell me I'm on the wrong list :-), here's the funny part. If I do
>>> 'ps' in Cygwin, I can see the 'cl' process, along with its WINPID.
>>> However, it doesn't show up in task manager! Also, there are about
>>> five processes that are clearly Cygwin processes (bash.exe or sh.exe)
>>> that do NOT show up in Cygwin's 'ps'.
>> Can you enter
>> $ ls /proc/*/fd
>> in another cygwin console and report if it helps? It might unhang the
>> stuck
>> process.
>
> Hmm... nope. In fact, that got stuck too. 'ls /proc/2072' dies and must
> be 'kill -9'd. 'ps | grep 2072' says:
>    PID  PPID  PGID WINPID  TTY  UID    STIME COMMAND
>   2072     1  1876   2072  con 1003   Apr 21 /usr/bin/bash

It looks like this process was orphaned somehow... it wouldn't 'kill' or
'kill -9', so I used task manager to end it, which didn't seem to affect
any of my active sessions. 'ls /proc/*' and 'ls /proc/*/fd' both work
now, but don't help.

I should mention that it dies politely if I send it just about any
signal, but I need it to NOT get stuck in the first place... so I either
want to figure out why it's hanging, or at least how to try to debug it.

--
Matthew
All of my signatures are 100% original. Including this one.