Cygwin and Interix interoperability?

mwoehlke mwoehlke-nospam@tibco.com
Fri Apr 21 18:39:00 GMT 2006

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> I don't get it.  We're using .lnk symlinks for quite some time and open
> works transparently with them.

Sorry; clarification (again): open() in Windows, outside of Cygwin. I.e.
if I try to open a path in Notepad that contains a symlink, it doesn't
work with Cygwin's .lnk's. It *does* work with real NFS symlinks.

>> At any rate, Cygwin *isn't* the Windows API... Why shouldn't Cygwin be
>> allowed to get it right for those API's that ask for POSIX-style
>> permissions?
>
> Cygwin is running in the Windows subsystem, Interix isn't.  Cygwin can
> only use functions in the Win32 API, or in the native NT API as far as
> the call is allowed from user space.

Explorer is able to retrieve these. Thus, I'm assuming that there /is/
an NT API way of doing it. Maybe I'm wrong.

I'll keep you posted if I ever get around to messing with this stuff.

--
Matthew
If you can't use a real OS, at least use Cygwin to fake one!