XP embedded

Wed Apr 12 16:28:00 GMT 2006

On Apr 12 12:05, Igor Peshansky wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 07:43:33AM -0400, Jeff Lange wrote:
> > >/dev/zero does work properly.  I changed line 68 in /etc/profile to
> > >use /dev/zero instead of /dev/null and I no longer get the bash error
> > >on start up.
>
> FWIW, /dev/zero is not always the proper substitution for /dev/null (i.e.,
> on input redirection, it will work differently).

Mon dieu!

> What I'm wondering is whether we need the Windows NUL device at all for
> implementing /dev/null...  It's rather trivial[*] to implement one without
> resorting to a Windows device.  Would there be any way of distinguishing
> an emulation from the real NUL device?
> 	Igor

Since /dev/null is a really existing native device, it also works for
stdio redirection when executing a native Windows process.  Off the top
of my head I don't know a case for which that really matters, but it's
guaranteed that somebody on the list will find a case really soon after
this change.

Corinna

Red Hat