xrdb needs cpp, but i do not need gcc

Dave Korn dave.korn@artimi.com
Thu Sep 22 11:19:00 GMT 2005

----Original Message----

  No it isn't really, because the real question is "Could cpp be packaged
separately from gcc", regardless of whether for an X app that needs it or
otherwise, and the answer is "No, it can't be, because the preprocessor is
built into the compiler these days, not a standalone like it used to be; the
seeming standalone cpp.exe is just a driver that invokes cc1.exe with the -E
flag".

[  Historical note: And that's the reason why cygcheck always used to say

>Not Found: cpp (good!)

because when it was a standalone it used to live in the gcc-lib subdir and
it was generally bad news if you got that in your $PATH, things used to
break.  ]

    cheers,
      DaveK