cygwin on Vista 64-bit

Tim Prince tprince@myrealbox.com
Tue Sep 20 13:41:00 GMT 2005

Lapo Luchini wrote:

> Tim Prince wrote:
>
> >I am aware of that policy, that no fix will be made to support such
> >software.  Just thought there might be a work-around.  If not, I will
> >consider Vista broken.
>

> FWIW, it seems to run fine on WinXP x64.
> (in fact, I used it for a month now)

Yes, considering that modification of the cygwin shortcut is no longer
required for the released OS, the problem with Vista was an unpleasant
surprise.  I'm finding that certain applications require unannounced
patches to run on the released X64 OS.  Others run fine on Vista if you
can figure out how to set them up.  Meanwhile, major retailers act like
it's a secret their machines run 64-bit OS, offering no options but
32-bit XP home and Pro.