bash not running bash_profile or bashrc

Poor Yorick com.cygwin.cygwin@pooryorick.com
Tue Sep 20 03:21:00 GMT 2005

I recently deleted c:\cygwin and my package repository and then
installed cygwin again using the latest setup.exe.  The first xterm that
gets fired up with startxwin.bat correctly runs .bash_profile.  However,
if I start another xterm from that xterm, neither .bash_profile nor
.bash_rc is run.  PS1 gets reset to "$".  The second xterm also loses
tab-completion functionality.  I do, however, in the second xterm, get
the "Your group is currently "mkpasswd" message.

Because it might be related, I'll describe a second problem. The command

mkpasswd -d > /etc/passwd

seems to hang.  I get no output and it never completes.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

--
Poor Yorick