setup: how to handle circular dependencies?

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Fri Sep 16 14:40:00 GMT 2005

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005, Dave Korn wrote:

> [...]

The only use I can see is later on, if setup allows optional dependencies,
someone may be able to save disk space by omitting gcc-core-mingw (and
other gcc-mingw packages) if they never plan to use -mno-cygwin.  At the
moment, having a circular dependency is the same as having the two in the
same package -- both will be installed (unless the user goes to great
pains to unselect one).

What I would suggest, however, is placing a stub in the main gcc package
that would produce a meaningful error on -mno-cygwin if *-mingw packages
aren't present, thus making gcc-core independent of gcc-core-mingw.  If
gcc-core-mingw is that exact stub, then by all means fold it into
gcc-core.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/