rm problem: Directory not empty

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Tue Sep 13 10:09:00 GMT 2005

Larry Hall wrote:
> At 02:29 PM 9/12/2005, you wrote:
>> I've also seen badly behaving windows programs, which refuse to "let
>> go" of a directory once they have used a file in it, until the
>> program is explicitly closed. This is most annoying, as you have to
>> keep closing program windows until suddenly you guess right, the
>> directory is freed, and can be deleted.
> 'handle.exe' from <sysinternals.com> is useful in determining the
> right app to close in this case.
And Process Explorer, also from sysinternals, allows one to not only
find the process but to close the open handle while leaving the process
running! Process explorer is a full featured replacement for Task
Manager that also allows you to kill processes/services that Task
Manager doesn't as well as to change priorities of some of those
processes that again, Task Manager doesn't.

There are some things I do not like about Process Explorer however. 1)
Cygwin processes are shown as taking like 4 00 meg of Virtual memory. 2)
Lack of a decent Networking graph, 3) Some times Process Explorer and
Cygwin trip each other up so that lsass starts consuming all of your CPU.

But that aside I still find Process Explorer invaluable.
--
All generalizations are false