Accessibility and Cygwin setup.exe

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Wed Oct 19 21:08:00 GMT 2005

Ugh, top-posting...  Reformatted.

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.

> Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 1:45 PM
> Subject: Re: Accessibility and Cygwin setup.exe
>
> > On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, Lennart Borgman wrote:
> >
> > > I read in the archives that there has been some discussions about
> > > accessibility and Cygwin setup.exe. Are there any plans to improve
> > > this? Keyboard support was not mentioned there but is also an
> > > important accessibility feature for many people. Are there any plans
> > > for keyboard support?
> >
> > I don't believe anyone has voiced plans for adding accessibility
> > features to the current implementation of the setup package chooser.
> > There are a couple of people (including me) working (slowly) on
> > re-implementing the chooser completely using standard Windows
> > controls, which will support keyboard interaction, screen readers,
> > etc, automatically.
> >
> > Igor
>
> Igor, have you been able to get any documentation from screen reader and
> screen magnification makers reguarding what are and are not accessible
> window controlls?  Glad to hear this is being worked on.
>
> Sean

No, I have not tested my code with screen readers or any other
accessibility software, as that's not my primary goal here.  What I'd like
to do is essentially decouple the logic from the GUI in setup, and have
setup use standard Windows controls.  The accessibility and keyboard
interaction come as nice side benefits resulting from the use of standard
controls.  I'm assuming that the controls I'm planning to use (e.g.,
ListView) have sufficient accessibility support built-in.

If and when I have some working code, I will request that people
interested in accessibility test that code for the features they need.

One thing I forgot to mention in my previous reply is that while using the
standard Windows controls is my choice, nothing prevents others from
submitting patches with alternate approaches (including patching the
current code for accessibility).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/