rxvt as Bash login console

Karl M karlm30@hotmail.com
Tue Oct 18 14:51:00 GMT 2005

>From: "David Christensen"
>CC: "'Eric Blake'"
>Subject: RE: rxvt as Bash login console
>Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 21:25:12 -0700
>
>Eric Blake wrote:
> > $ cat ~/.Xdefaults
> > ! Fix rxvt to mimic windows console coloring
> > XTerm*background: black
> > XTerm*foreground: gray
> > XTerm*geometry: 80x50
> > XTerm*jumpScroll: True
> > XTerm*scrollBar_right: True
>
>"man rxvt" and this page were helpful:
>
>     http://www.xfree86.org/current/xterm.1.html
>

>I was able to reduce my rxvt.bat file to this:
>
>     dpchrist@p42800e:~$ cat rxvt.bat
>     @echo off
>     rem $Id: rxvt.bat,v 1.1 2005/10/18 04:17:23 dpchrist Exp $
>     C:
>     chdir C:\cygwin\bin
>     rxvt -fn "Lucida Console-11" -e /bin/bash --login -i
>

>Here is my .Xdefaults:
>
>     dpchrist@p42800e:~$ cat .Xdefaults
>     ! $Id: .Xdefaults,v 1.1 2005/10/18 04:17:23 dpchrist Exp $
>     XTerm*background: black
>     XTerm*foreground: gray
>     XTerm*colorBD: white
>     XTerm*colorUL: cyan
>     XTerm*saveLines: 10000
>     XTerm*scrollBar_right: True
>     XTerm*scrollTtyKeypress: True
>     XTerm*scrollTtyOutput: True
>

> >> C:\cygwin      /          system  textmode
> >> C:\cygwin/bin  /usr/bin   system  textmode
> >> C:\cygwin/lib  /usr/lib   system  textmode
> > Not a good idea.  /bin, /lib, /usr/bin, and /usr/lib should generally
> > be binary mounts for best behavior.
>
>Okay.  I ran Cygwin setup and changed the "Default Text File Type" to
>"Unix/
>binary":
>
>     dpchrist@p42800e:~$ cygcheck -s -v -r | grep mode
>     C:\cygwin      /          system  binmode
>     C:\cygwin/bin  /usr/bin   system  binmode
>     C:\cygwin/lib  /usr/lib   system  binmode
>     .              /cygdrive  system  binmode,cygdrive
>

>It looks like CVS is now checking out text files using Unix line endings.
>I'm
>sure I'll find other differences as time goes on.  Hopefully this won't be
>too
>painful of a change...
>

>Thanks!
>
>David

Recent versions of CVSNT now pwwc (play well with Cygwin). That is, if you
set CVS_RSH to 'C:\Cygwin\bib\ssh.exe' you can use Cygwin/OpenSSH (ssh,
ssh-agent, etc.) for your connection. I started using it for better
interoperability with WinCvs, but this also gives you DOS line endings no
mater what your mounts look like (which may or may not be what you want).

HTH,

...Karl