problems with top using Cygwin ssh to Debian 31r0a

Sat Oct 15 19:44:00 GMT 2005

On 10/15/2005, David Christensen wrote:
> >Do both understand your terminal setting?
>

> I don't see any complaints when I log into a Debian machine.
>

> How can I troubleshoot this?

Check what your terminal type is ('echo $TERM').  It's probably 'cygwin' for
Cygwin if you're running from a command prompt.  You can use 'infocmp' to
compare the 'cygwin' terminal definitions (under '/usr/share/terminfo/c') on
your Debian machines to see if there's something different between the two.
You can also check the terminal used by Putty.  I'm sure that's not going
to be 'cygwin'.  Try setting TERM to that before you 'ssh' into your
problem Debian system and see if that helps.  If so, that system has a
missing or wrong entry in it's terminfo DB.  The solution in that case is to
copy the entry from the working system to the non-working one.  Alternatively,
you can choose to side-step the issue by setting a different terminal, as I
mentioned above.

Holliston, MA 01746