sshd via XP Service vs. sshd init daemon

Christopher McIntosh christophermcintosh@mchsi.com
Fri Nov 25 11:10:00 GMT 2005

Cyg-winners:

I have a question that the FAQs do not seem to address.

It is possible to install sshd as an init daemon (via usr/sbin/chkconfig
--add) *and* it is also possible to install sshd as a full-fledged XP
service (via /usr/bin/ssh-host-config).

QUERY:  What are the pros and cons of each method?

IMO, I prefer to have less full-fledged services; then it is simpler to
start several daemons (e.g., xinetd, sshd, ftpd, ...) via a single 'net
start init' or 'cygrunsrv --start init' reducing the number of tasks to
perform for a change in state.

Am I overlooking potential advantages for running as an independent,
full-fledged service?

Thanks to all who share the enlightenment!  :)

Christopher