sshd on windows 2000

Tue Nov 22 06:49:00 GMT 2005

Jeff Sadowski wrote:
> I have one server that has a problem with sshd. And
> its a strange problem that I don't know what is
> causing it. Seems to be an authentication problem but
> I'm not really sure about that. Also there is a
> problem starting it.
> When I try starting it the server times out on start.
> it starts fine though if I start it with the following
> command.
> /usr/sbin/sshd -d -d -d (while looking for problems)

<snip>

> debug2: input_userauth_request: try method publickey
> debug1: test whether pkalg/pkblob are acceptable
> debug1: temporarily_use_uid: 500/513 (e=500/513)
> seteuid 500: No such process
> debug1: do_cleanup

<more snippage>

As always, if you're reporting a problem, please read and
follow completely the problem reporting guidelines found at:

Without this, I can only make a WAG based on the information you've
provided but it looks to me like you're starting 'sshd' from the command
line.  If that's so and you're not logged in as "SYSTEM", you can't
seteuid().  And lo and behold that's what the debug messages tell you! ;-)
Windows isn't UNIX/Linux (yes, I know this is quite a revelation) and
you cannot start 'sshd' from the command line and expect to connect as
anyone other than the user that started 'sshd'.  If what I just stated
is not obvious to you, remove your installation of the OpenSSH package,
remove all remnants of it ever being on your system, and reinstall it.
Read and follow the configuration instructions in
'/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/openssh.README'.    If, on the other hand, the
statements I made make sense to you, then you now understand that you
can only 'ssh' to this machine as the user that started 'sshd'.  Anyone
else will fail.

Holliston, MA 01746