PerlTk under Cygwin?

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Thu Nov 17 13:41:00 GMT 2005

David Christensen wrote:

> Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>
>> Has anybody managed to install Tk for Perl running under Cygwin?
>
> I've beaten my head against Perl/TK on Cygwin repeatedly over the
> years. The only way I succeeded was to use ActivePerl and keep it
> isolated from Cygwin -- basically, use the Cygwin environment for
> editing and use Command Prompt, Windows Explorer, etc., to launch
> ActivePerl scripts.

Oh I often work as a Clearcase administrator and Clearcase comes with
it's own, ActiveState based Perl called ccperl. I've been using that
develop a PerlTk based application. However I much prefer the Cygwin
environment over a cmd prompt. ActiveState Perl doesn't handle windows
that use ptys such as rxvt and so doing ccperl -d <my PerlTk script>
does not work under rxvt. Also, that debugger doesn't seem to use
ReadLine thus command history and editing in the Perl debugger is
different, etc. Plus I'm not always at a place with Clearcase installed.
I don't have Clearcase installed on my home computer, for example.

It would be good if PerlTk could work from Cygwin's Perl (and perhaps
even have a package in Cygwin's setup.exe to install it or have it
installed by default). At the very least PerlTk should be installable
from CPAN and be able to be built/made so that it's usable.

After using PerlTk a little bit I'm finding that this PerlTk thing could
be very useful to me as I've never gotten into the monolithic MS Visual
Studio and C++ or C# way of building GUI apps. I'm much more comfortable
in Perl...