Installing error: cygwin1.dll not found

Kevin Worrell nappyandashy@hotmail.com
Thu Nov 10 00:21:00 GMT 2005

Hi,

I recently installed cygwin on my Windows XP but when I try to run cygwin I
get an error saying “This application (bash.exe) has failed to start because
cygwin1.dll was not found.  Re-installing the application may fix this
problem.”

I also got a similar message during the initial installation and it keeps
coming up on attempted re-installations (when I tried re-installing the
default packages).  After checking the FAQs I identified the cygwin1.dll in
the cygwin package and have tried to install it specifically on the Select
Packages setup page by switching the toggle button from ‘skip’ to
‘1.5.18-1.’  When I click next, the setup detects additional dependent
packages that need to be downloaded, but when I continue I get one of the
following two errors:

“Fatal error: uncaught exception
Type: St16invalid_argument
Message: URL Scheme not registered!”

or  “Can’t open (null) for reading: no such file”

What am I doing wrong?  I also found a similar problem in the mailing list
archives, entitled “Error while installing cygwin” from Abhinav Varshney,
dated 11/5/05.  Thanks for any help that you can give.

Additional info:
setup.exe version 2.510.2.2
cygwin dll release version 1.5.18-1