1.5.18+ resource leak?

Brian Ford Brian.Ford@flightsafety.com
Sat Nov 5 16:15:00 GMT 2005

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005, Dave Korn wrote:

> Brian Ford wrote:
> > Yes, I haven't seen anything I could identify either.  I think the key is
> > that these are mostly small files (a hundred thousand or so).  Copying
> > larger ones of the same volume doesn't seem to trigger the problem.
>
>   That _does_ seem somewhat like the issue described in the second of those
> mskb links I posted earlier...
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304101
>
> "  CAUSE
> The two causes of this problem are related. The more frequent cause is listed
> first:
> .	More files are open than the memory cache manager can handle. As a
> result, the cache manager has exhausted the available paged pool memory.  "
> [...snip...]
>
> ... see also the "MORE INFORMATION" section at the bottom.

Thanks Dave.  I wasn't ignoring you.  I was just waiting until I had some
solid information to reply.  I really do appreciate the help and
suggestions.

I'm not completely sure this is the issue yet, but I believe it is.  I was
able to reproduce the problem without involving Cygwin at all.  An xcopy
from a Samba mounted drive on the Solaris box to the local disk in a
cmd shell also triggered the problem (although it was a much slower copy
with all those network file open/close operations required).

Even though this is now off-topic, I'll follow up just to close the thread
for the archives when I verify that one of those registry settings
actually fixes it.

Thanks again.

--
Brian Ford