1.5.18+ resource leak?

Brian Ford Brian.Ford@flightsafety.com
Fri Nov 4 14:42:00 GMT 2005

I have performed the following operation many times over the past few
months, and every time have eventually hung the machine in some form.
The hang mainfests itself in different ways on different machines and with
different Cygwin DLL versions (1.5.18 and various snapshots).  Here is one
example of the hang:

In an xterm under Xwin -multiwindow on a dual-core dual-processor AMD
Opteron I execute (all machines tested have been dual-core, but not
necessarily dual-processor):

ssh user@solaris_machine 'cd some_directory && tar cf -
some_other_directory' | tar xvf -

These are large copies of several hundred megabytes.  Here was the result:

tar some_file_path: Cannot write: Permission denied
4 [main] -bash 2304 fork_copy: user/cygwin data pass 2 failed,
0x610000..0x627000, done 0, windows pid 3132, Win 32 error 1450

The only other operation running on the machine at the time was an ftp in
another xterm window of a several hundred megabyte file.  It died with
simply a permission denied error.

At this point, the machine is still responsive, but trying to do anything
with any Cygwin process gives a similar error.  I've looked at the various
resources, memory, handles, threads, etc. in the task manager and nothing
looks unusually high.

Does anyone have a guess as to what resource I may be lacking (that
presumably some Cygwin process leaked)?

I've got about 3 tera bytes to move to several machines in preparation for
a trade show, and I've fought this for several previous ones.  I'd really
like to do all I can to find the problem.  I'm just not sure where to
start.

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer