Hang with 1.5.18, 1.5.19 snapshot 20051029

Peter Rehley peter@rehley.net
Wed Nov 2 19:13:00 GMT 2005

On Nov 1, 2005, at 5:52 AM, Volker Quetschke wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Peter Rehley wrote:
>> I have a problem where a configure script is hanging.  I first
>> saw  the behavior in 1.5.18, and it's still there in the latest
>> snapshot.  The only machines that we are seeing it hang on are
>> windows 2000  machines, sp4, with duel pentinum 933 mhz
>> processors, and using ssh  to login to the machine.  I haven't
>> been able to reproduce the  problem on single processor machines
>> or when ssh is not used.
>> Under 1.5.18, the hang occurred about 1 in ten times in the
>> test_configure script (provided in the bash_test.tar.bz2 file.
>> Under  the latest snapshot it's about 1 in 900.
>> When the hang happens it appears that a process is completed, but
>> still can be found in the process directory.  The cmdline file
>> says  <defunct>, but the process still shows up in the process
>> list (ps - ef).  If I try to clean up by killing the process, the
>> kill command  says that the process doesn't exist.  The only way
>> that I can make  the hung process go away is by using the task
>> manager to kill the  process.
>
> Your symptoms look familiar to our OOo build hang. I'm curious if in
> your case a:
>
> $ ls /proc/<hangpid>/fd
>
> also cures the hang. (Sometimes this has to be issued several times.)

This didn't seem to do anything for me.....but I also did not try
several times,  and now I'm having a hard time reproducing the
problem. :(

One really odd thing that I did notice on my windows 2000 machines
was that when I do a 'ps -ef' many times in a row quickly, the
test_configure script that I'm using dies...it either segfaults or I
get fork: Resource Temporarily unavailable.

Peter