How to install perl modules?

Reini Urban rurban@x-ray.at
Fri May 27 10:15:00 GMT 2005

Gerrit P. Haase schrieb:
> George wrote:
>> Sorry to go off on a slight tangent here, but is there any documentation
>> anywhere that describe which Win32 modules are problematic, as it's most
>> likely that for Cygwin users the Win32 modules are of particular
>> interest, no?  And installing both Cygwin's Perl and ActiveState's
>> distribution can offer a less than satisfactory solution as it presents
>> its own set of problems.
>
> There is an up to date version of libwin32 as well as Win32CORE included
> in the perl distributed, it *should* be possible to build some (not all)
> of the Win32 modules, though I have not tried to build much of them.
> Just try one or another if it is not already included with libwin32.

For some time I did automatic cpansmoke testing on cygwin for every new
module (CPANPLUS, perldoc cpansmoke), and it turned out that almost none
of the non cygwin-supported Win32 XS modules compile and work fine.
Mostly because Win32 modules are written for nmake/msvc only and
maintainers usually dont accept cygwin/mingw patches.

libwin32 and Win32::GUI is doing fine but the cygwin patches are not yet
accepted upstream. For libwin32 this will need some time.
Win32::API has no callback support with the latest updates.
For 0.26 there's a cygwin version.

There's a statistic:
   http://testers.cpan.org/letter/W.html

I believe I have to re-enable my cpansmoke filter for cygwin, because
there're so many cygwin tests missing under the Win32 tree.
--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/