Strange-Dangerous behaviour in Cygwin

Carlo Florendo list-subscriber@hq.astra.ph
Mon May 9 03:44:00 GMT 2005

Carlo Florendo wrote:

> Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
>> On Sun, May 08, 2005 at 03:02:17PM +0200, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
>>

>>> The problems described prviously exist in standard bash shell (that is
>>> launched with the link on Desktop) and in the shell launched by xterm
>>> (with startxwin.bat).
>>>
>>> THEY DO NOT exist in dos box (with C\:cygwin\bin in W2KSP4 path) and in
>>> the shell launched with RXVT: in these cases the BACKSPACE key
>>> delete the
>>> previous character and does not move the cursor as the LEFT arrow key.
>>>

>> Again:  This means that IT IS an xterm setup issue so YOU SHOULD be
>> using the cygwin-xfree mailing list.
>>

> This does not seem to be an xterm setup issue.   I have confirmed that
> running "rm -i <blah>" enables the user to move about the terminal, as
> in a text editor as originally stated.  (Emphasized since cygwin-xfree
> is cc'd)
> The same behavior applies to rxvt in stand-alone mode, xterm, and from
> the shell launched by running cygwin.bat directly from a cmd prompt.
>
> Exporting the TERM variable in these shells and terminals to either
> xterm, xterm-color, rxvt, or cygwin, does not eliminate the problem.
> It's not bothersome for me but it certainly is wrong.
> Are there any terminal setttings that have to be modified?

Ooops.   Sorry, I've read earlier discussions on this issue just a few
seconds ago by Erik Blake et al.   So, it's not an xterm issue.  It's a
bug with coreutils not being POSIX compliant.  A patch has been
applied.  We just have to wait for the next annoucement for coreutils.

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Carlo

--