Strange-Dangerous behaviour in Cygwin

Carlo Florendo list-subscriber@hq.astra.ph
Mon May 9 03:30:00 GMT 2005

Christopher Faylor wrote:

>On Sun, May 08, 2005 at 03:02:17PM +0200, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
>

>>The problems described prviously exist in standard bash shell (that is
>>launched with the link on Desktop) and in the shell launched by xterm
>>(with startxwin.bat).
>>
>>THEY DO NOT exist in dos box (with C\:cygwin\bin in W2KSP4 path) and in
>>the shell launched with RXVT: in these cases the BACKSPACE key delete the
>>previous character and does not move the cursor as the LEFT arrow key.
>>

>Again:  This means that IT IS an xterm setup issue so YOU SHOULD be
>using the cygwin-xfree mailing list.

This does not seem to be an xterm setup issue.   I have confirmed that
running "rm -i <blah>" enables the user to move about the terminal, as
in a text editor as originally stated.  (Emphasized since cygwin-xfree
is cc'd)
The same behavior applies to rxvt in stand-alone mode, xterm, and from
the shell launched by running cygwin.bat directly from a cmd prompt.

Exporting the TERM variable in these shells and terminals to either
xterm, xterm-color, rxvt, or cygwin, does not eliminate the problem.
It's not bothersome for me but it certainly is wrong.

Are there any terminal setttings that have to be modified?

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Carlo