echo "$(echo '\r')" oddity

Brian Dessent brian@dessent.net
Tue May 3 15:52:00 GMT 2005

Jan Just Keijser wrote:

> thx for the quick answer. Lemme guess: I am going to have to build my own
> version of bash that does not have this behaviour... what is going to break
> if I undo this patch from the bash source code?
>
> It's a shame though, coz this seems to be the only issue that stops that
> nifty socat from working... all tests pass except those tests that use `` or
> $() ...

My guess is that that patch was added so that command substitution on
windows programs works.  Or something to that effect.  You could
certainly recompile without it, and see what happens.

But the question that I think we're left with is what exactly is socat
doing that is broken by this?  If you give examples I'm sure someone
here will be able to show you a way to do what you want without patching
anything.  Note: I have no idea what socat is...

Brian