setup alternatives (was Re: Bespoke installations: simple elegance of setup.exe when setup.ini is absent)

Christopher Faylor cgf-no-personal-reply-please@cygwin.com
Mon May 2 20:38:00 GMT 2005

On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 12:57:18PM -0700, Sean McMahon wrote:
>I for one appreciate the clarification as I sent a detailed bug-report
>to this person assuming they were the maintainer.  My question as I've
>asked before is, can or is someone working on improving accessibility
>of setup.exe for those of us who have to use windows via a screenreader
>and keyboard.  Many of the buttons and controlls do not get focus and
>can't be opperated in the normal manner.

Did you happen to follow the "setup.exe sucks" thread over in
cygwin-apps?  Basically, it boils down to the fact that I and others are
not really thrilled with setup.exe in its current form.  While it is an
impressive program in some ways, the UI is (apparently) too
non-intuitive and the mean-time between bug fixes is too long.

Are you aware of a setup-like program out there which "gets it right" as
far as UI is concerned?  It would be nice to transition to an
open-sources alternative which was actively supported.

cgf