cygwin-1.5.16-1: FIFOs broken

Lev S Bishop lev.bishop@yale.edu
Mon May 2 06:36:00 GMT 2005

cgf wrote:

> I thought that maybe something like:
>
> cat < FIFO 42>FIFO
>
> might work since that would cause cat to keep FIFO open for input and
> output but that just hangs on both cygwin and linux.

Probably the right thing to do is:
in one shell:
$ cat < fifo

in the other shell:
$ exec 6>fff
$ echo hello >&6
$ echo more >&6
$ exec 6>&-

(or something similar).

Or a more similar approach to your one also seems to work:

$ cat <> fifo

One thing that is different on cygwin to linux, is if there are multiple
readers of a fifo.

shell 1:
$ cat fifo

shell 2:
$ cat fifo

On linux, both keep waiting for someone to write to the fifo.
On cygwin, when the second cat tries to listen on the fifo, they both
exit. I don't know how fifos are supposed to work, but I'm guessing cygwin
gets it wrong here.

Lev