gcc 3.3.3, const symbols and shared libraries

Norton Allen allen@huarp.harvard.edu
Tue Mar 29 15:57:00 GMT 2005

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
> Norton Allen wrote:
>
>> I have seen the discussions at
>>
>> http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2004-09/msg01101.html
>>
>> referenced at
>>
>> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2005-03/msg00048.html
>>
>> regarding gcc 3.3.3's placement of const symbols into
>> rdata which then cannot be properly initialized.
>> This problem seems pretty fundamental. Can anyone
>> tell me whether there has been any followup to
>> this? Is it considered a cygwin problem or a
>> gcc problem? Has it been addressed in 3.4.1?
>> What are developers doing? Going back to 3.3.1?
>

> The rule is to not use const symbols in shared libraries
> if they are not really const;)

What do you mean by "really?" These are const from
the standpoint of "defined once and never changed
thereafter," but they are not finally defined until
the link against shared libraries.

It's currently an issue because it requires changes
to quite a few packages. In the past week, I had to
remove const declarations from glib-2.6.3 and
gtk+-2.6.4 to get them to compile. Are these changes
that are uniquely required by cygwin, or are these
going to be required for all gcc platforms?

-Norton