rxvt problem: Prompt doesn't look very nice

Jonathan Arnold jdarnold@buddydog.org
Thu Mar 24 20:53:00 GMT 2005

Mikael wrote:
> Hello, I just tried rxvt because I wanted to replace the hopeless cmd
> window. However, the "prompt" (not sure that is the correct word) doesn't
> look very nice, here it is copied and pasted:
> \[\033]0;\w\007
> \033[32m\]\u@\h \[\033[33m\w\033[0m\]
> $
> It looks similar, if not the same, as the result when I tried to set bash as
> the default shell for a native Windows Emacs cvs version. I guess the
> \[\033]0;\w\007
> \033[32m\]\u@\h \[\033[33m\w\033[0m\] should display the cwd if it was
> working correctly, yes?

These are ansi escape sequences, which won't work "inside" emacs, because
it isn't an ANSI terminal.

As for rxvt, those should work just fine.  See this FAQ for a little bit
more info and a pointer to the rxvt docs:

http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_3.html#SEC65

--
Jonathan Arnold     (mailto:jdarnold@buddydog.org)
Amazing Developments       http://www.buddydog.org

I feel like a fugitive from the law of averages. -
  William H. Mauldin