clamwin installs incompatible copy of cygwin1.dll

Christopher Faylor cgf-no-personal-reply-please@cygwin.com
Thu Mar 24 20:06:00 GMT 2005

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 10:50:07AM -0800, Jim Kleckner wrote:
>I had a user install clamwin and as discussed on the list here:
>http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2004-09/msg00288.html it blithely
>installs cygwin1.dll regardless of any installation of cygwin.  This
>predictably causes problems.
>
>Searching through the user guide and faq doesn't yield a suggestion for
>solutions or workarounds and searching the list archives yields so much
>material that it is hard to focus in on what specifically to do.
>Obviously, I can have the person uninstall clamwin.  Is there anything
>else that makes sense (and, no, uninstalling cygwin doesn't make
>sense)?  This would be a good candidate for the FAQ, I think.

Sorry.  I will steadfastedly refuse to document as a "FAQ" problems with
broken software that installs their own version of the cygwin dll.  This
is nothing more than the standard multiple version of cygwin problem
aggravated by software providers who are too lazy to figure out how to
install their product without messing up a cygwin installation.

Regardless of that, however, I don't believe that this qualifies as a
"FAQ" since it hasn't been a frequently asked question.
--
Christopher Faylor			spammer? ->	aaaspam@sourceware.org
Cygwin Co-Project Leader				aaaspam@duffek.com