Mailing list confusion

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Thu Mar 24 17:52:00 GMT 2005

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, Arend-Jan Westhoff wrote:

> Thanks Brian, for the clarification. Does this imply that if one is e.g.
> on the digest version of the mailinglist (as I am, and would like to
> stay that way), that this confusion will be inevitable when one replies
> to a message or is there a work around?

The digest messages usually contain the Message-ID: header, and most
mailers would thread the replies properly...  Occasionally the Message-ID:
header is not recognized (don't know why), and thus doesn't get into the
digest.

> (Actually I'm in fact responding to your reply from the archive since
> the digest version with your reply has not yet arrived.) Would it not be
> convenient if the archive and mailinglist present a line one could copy
> and paste as the first line of a reply so that threading info would be
> correctly preserved?

They do.  Look at the "Raw text" link in the web archives -- that gives
you the complete mbox-formatted text of the message, headers and all.
Just save it where your mailer can get to it (as long as your mailer
understands the mbox format, like mine does), and it should work.  You
will need to do a bit of pre-processing on the text, as the headers are
somewhat obfuscated (to deter spammers).  Here's the script I use:

sed -e '1,/^$/{/^Subject:/I!{s/\r$//
s/ dot /./g
s/ at /@/g
s/^Path.*!not-for-mail$/From msg@gmane.org '"`date -u +"%a %b %d %T %Y"`"'/}}'

That last one is there because I also occasionally use Gmane's "raw
article" mode to get at the text of the article (for those cases when the
web archives cannot find the raw text).

I reply to most messages through the archives, and threading is correctly
preserved in all cases where the Message-ID: is present.

> (Should make it independent of any rogue e-mail clients as well.)

No, since it's the e-mail client that adds the References: or In-Reply-To:
headers.  If your client doesn't do this, there will be no threading...

> (Btw <http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/> is apparently a different -- may
> be more proper(?) -- name to refer to the location of the Cygwin archive
> (currently at IP 12.107.209.250).)

The usual way I use is <http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin> -- that's the
shortest non-obfuscated link I'm aware of.

HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT