Reuse of old downloded cygwin packages

Paulo Sequeira psequeira@racsa.co.cr
Thu Mar 17 18:30:00 GMT 2005

Pradip Jadav wrote:
> hello everybody..
> I have a query regarding reuse of earlier downloaded packages...The
> actual situation is like this..
> Earlier I was having 6 GB hard Drive ,so i thought to replace my Hard
> drive with 40 GB. I took backup of downloded and installed packages of
> cygwin.. I was downloading in "D:\cygwin" and installed in
> "c:\cygwin".In d:\cygwin there was a subfolder named
> "http%3a%2f%2fsources-redhat.mirror.redwire.net%2fcygwin", where all
> packages are present. Now I want to reuse it. So how to do that??
> And another question is that whether I keep installed packages to
> c:\cygwin or not in new hard drive??
> thanx in advance...

So, you copied all of D:\cygwin to the new hard drive, right? Simply
running D:\cygwin\setup.exe, and choosing to install from from local
directory is all you need.

I'm not completely sure about this, but I think that what is recommended
to have cygwin installed in the new drive is to do a complete install
with setup, instead of merely copying the contents of c:\cygwin. After
that, to restore your c:\cygwin\home files, well, just take the backup
you made of that directory and replace the contents of the new home with
them. Note that, if you have manually unpacked and installed any files
outside home, you may have to reinstall them again.

This is what I would do, but beware, I haven't tried this for a while,
and I may be wrong or missing details.

--
Paulo