Two patches for cygwin build of 1.4.1rc2

Volker Quetschke quetschke@scytek.de
Thu Mar 10 16:38:00 GMT 2005

* crossposted to cygwin ml in case my opinion is not shared by the
   cygwin developers. *

>>that would be either the location of the started executable or
>>everything in the PATH variable. As the
>
> and 4 other locations.  Windows looks for DLLs this way:
>
>   1. The directory from where the current process was loaded.
>   2. The current directory
>   3. The Windows system directory (cf. GetSystemDirectory)
>   4. The 16 bit system directory
>   5. The Windows directory (cf. GetWindowsDirectory)
>   6. The directories listen in $PATH.
Thanks, but as the dll location is defined by the cygwin installation
(cf. www.cygwin.com) nothing except 1., 2. and 6. is an option.

> Given that this DLL is requirement for many application, you should
> install it into the Windows directory.  Or modify cygwin to allow
> environment variable to do this.

This will never happen for the cygwin distribution. The dll lives in
<cygwin main directory>/bin. Period. This was deliberately chosen in the
past and will most propably not change to please one package.

As the gnupg package maintainer for cygwin I can live with the mentioned
patch, gpg will just work for people who install it as a cygwin package.

All people that compile a version on their own will have to use
exec-path or (on their own risk) copy the dll around.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen

      Volker

--
PGP/GPG key  (ID: 0x9F8A785D)  available  from  wwwkeys.de.pgp.net
key-fingerprint 550D F17E B082 A3E9 F913  9E53 3D35 C9BA 9F8A 785D