1.0-1 ping problem

Thu Mar 10 14:16:00 GMT 2005

On Mar  7 15:13, Paul G Cantalupo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When I run ping as the administrator on my Win2K box, it works fine but as
> a regular user, I get the following.
>
> ping: socket: operation not permitted

I just had a look into the sources.  Cygwin's ping is using raw sockets.
This only works for admin accounts, according to MSDN:

  Note  Raw socket support requires administrative privileges. Users running
  Winsock applications that make use of raw sockets must have administrative
  privileges on the computer, otherwise raw socket calls will fail with an
  error code of WSAEACCES.

Use Windows' native ping instead.

> I added the u+s permission to the ping executable and now I get (from a
> regular user account):

The s-bits are just faked.  Cygwin doesn't support switching to another
user context by setting them.  I'm planning to implement that for years
but time goes by...

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.