cygwin.dll 1.5.13-1: hangs

Andrew Schulman andrex@alumni.utexas.net
Tue Mar 8 13:02:00 GMT 2005

I just upgraded to cygwin 1.5.13-1 on two hosts, and am observing the same
problem on both: my bash startup hangs.  I traced the problem to an
invocation of ssh-add in .bash_profile, with three keys as arguments.

The first time I run ssh-add after rebooting the host, it hangs.  I can
leave it for 10 minutes, and it doesn't return.  If I interrupt it and then
run the same command again, this time it completes successfully.  This is
repeatable; every time I reboot and run ssh-add again, it hangs the first
time, I interrupt it, and then it runs normally again until the next
reboot.

I ran 'strace ssh-add $key1 $key2 $key3' immediately after rebooting; the
log is at http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/bugz/ssh-add-strace1.txt.
Execution continues normally until

  286   46267 [main] ssh-add 2968 fhandler_socket::signal_secret_event:
signaled secret_event 90680872 90727139 [unknown (0x79C)] ssh-add 2968
_cygtls::remove: wait 0xFFFFFFFF

which doesn't return.  In this log, 90 seconds later I interrupt ssh-add,
and the rest of the log is the process termination.

I then ran 'strace ssh-add $key1 $key2 $key3' again, and this time the
operation completed normally.  The log is at
http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/bugz/ssh-add-strace2.txt.  In this case the
same function call took about 1 second to complete, but it did return.

When I revert to cygwin 1.5.12-1, the problem does not occur.  Output of
cygcheck -svr is attached.

Andrew.