keychain service--hanging in ssh-add

Chuck skilover@softhome.net
Mon Mar 7 17:00:00 GMT 2005

Karl M wrote:

> I think it may be related to your update to cygwin-1.5.13-1. This is a
> symptom that I was seeing also, but only on one machine (XP SP2 laptop)
> and only on some reboots. Please try a snapshot and report the results.

This is also an XP SP2 laptop. It's a Dell D600.

> Another experiment is to reboot, and wait for the disk activity to stop.
> That is, to wait until the reboot is really finished. Then try ssh-add.
> That would be worth trying with both 1.5.13-1 and with a snapshot.
>
> Please tell me about your system configuration. Are you running
> ssh-agent and or keychain as a service?

I am running ssh-add manually. I don't use keychain at all and I am not
running ssh-agent as a service either. I run it manually as part of my
.profile. I only ever run one cygwin session so this is not a problem. I
also usually run a pdksh X-windows session using Cygwin's X server.

> What may be going on is that after boot-up, the machine is busy and the
> new pipe code slows down (see postings from cgf). For me, this was
> causing a race at startup. When I prevented the race, it prevented the
> problem...but I don't think I found the problem, just sent it back into
> hiding.

To me it appears to be some sort of initialization problem. The first
time I run ssh-add it hangs forever, regardless of how long I wait
before starting it after booting. If I interrupt it, and run it again,
it immediately prompts for the passphrase and everything starts working
as it did prior to installing cygwin-1.5.13-1.

Is there a snapshot available somewhere? I normally don't install
anything but production releases.
--
Chuck