PostgreSQL: logon failure

Carlo Florendo list-subscriber@hq.astra.ph
Fri Jun 17 03:08:00 GMT 2005

George wrote:

>On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 09:21:24PM +0200, Reini Urban schrieb:
>

>>George schrieb:
>>

>>>I followed the instructions for installing postgresql as an NT service
>>>as outlined in the postgresql README, but ended up with the following
>>>error:
>>>
>>>$ cygrunsrv -S postmaster
>>>cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: StartService:  Win32 error 1069:
>>>The service did not start due to a logon failure.
>>>

>>As what user do you start the service?
>>The service could not logon as this user.
>>

>Makes perfect sense, but I simply followed the instructions in the
>README which were fairly straightforward:
>
>george@home
>$ cygrunsrv -S cygserver
>
>postgres@home
>$ initdb -D /var/postgresql/data
>
>george@home
>$ cygrunsrv -S postmaster
>cyrunsrv: Error ...

Your initdb is started with user "postgresql".  Postmaster is started
with user "george".  Why not run initdb and and "cygrunsrv -S
postmaster" under the same user?  Then, when setting up postmaster from
cygrunsrv, specify the user you choose.

Under user george, you may:

1. Remove the old service:
cygrunsrv -R postmaster   # removes the service

2. Reinstall the new service
cygrunsrv --install postmaster --path /usr/bin/postmaster \
    --args "-D /var/postgresql/data -i" --dep cygserver \
    --user george --termsig INT -e "CYGWIN=server" --shutdown

3. Clear the database directory, then, (still under user george)

initdb -D /var/postgresql/data

4.  Run the service

cygrunsrv -S postmaster

HTH.