Making /bin/sh == bash. Has the time come?

Christopher Faylor cgf-no-personal-reply-please@cygwin.com
Sat Jun 11 01:06:00 GMT 2005

On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 04:35:05PM -0700, Shankar Unni wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>So, in conversation with Corinna, I think that we're starting to lean
>>towards making /bin/sh == bash sometime soon.
>
>Excellent idea.  And it even seems to handle the automatic switch to
>POSIX mode correctly when called "sh.exe".
>
>Talking of which, how good is "pdksh" these days?
>
>Using your "exec-expr-in-a-loop" microbenchmark (without the builtin),
>it seems to be nearly as fast as "ash" (within a few percent), and
>almost 1.5x as fast as bash (I got 20, 23 and 38 seconds for ash, pdksh
>and bash respectively).  And for the "builtin" (using $((i+1))) loop,
>it's still nearly 4x as fast as bash (0.06 vs 0.23 seconds, or 0.25 vs
>1.1 seconds for 10000 iterations).
>
>Is it stable enough (and well-enough maintained) to be considered for
>being "the shell"?

No, I don't think we want to go there.  Most people these days expect
that /bin/sh is the same thing as bash.  That's the way it is on linux
and that is what we're trying to emulate.  Not doing that will just
trade the explanation of "Why doesn't this work?" from "It's because
/bin/sh is ash" to "It's because /bin/sh is pdksh."

cgf