passwd & group file problems ?

Dave Korn dave.korn@artimi.com
Thu Jun 9 18:08:00 GMT 2005

----Original Message----

  At this point, I'd just like to say ${DAVEK_ANTI_NORTON_RANT}, and
furthermore,
${DAVEK_ANTI_SYMANTEC_RANT:-${DAVEK_ANTI_NORTON_RANT//NORTON/SYMANTEC}},
while of course it is also true that
${DAVEK_ANTI_MCAFEE_RANT:-${DAVEK_ANTI_SYMANTEC_RANT//SYMANTEC/MCAFEE}}.

> Also, as your cygcheck output shows, you are in a domain.  It's quite
> possible that the domain controller really is taking more than 30 minutes
> to return the set of users and groups (for large domains).  The "-u"/"-g"
> options of mkpasswd/mkgroup respectively may be helpful.

  Or indeed running it in such a way that the redirection doesn't prevent
you from seeing what's going on, such as:

mkpasswd -d -l | tee /etc/passwd

which will let you see it spitting out entries one-by-one as the server
sends responses.

> You could try running "net user nlwiso" to find out the group membership
> (though I'm not certain how to ensure that the user being queried is
> EMEA\nlwiso);

  "net user EMEA\nlwiso".  It's pretty universal in 'doze that wherever you
can put a username, you can put a DOMAIN\user string instead.

    cheers,
      DaveK