[perl-5.8.7] Perl regression tests fail when lib directory is present

Gerrit P. Haase gerrit@familiehaase.de
Tue Jul 26 18:20:00 GMT 2005

Scott Bolte wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 17:39:41 +0200, "Gerrit P. Haase" wrote:
>
>>Indeed, I see no unsetenv() in the perl sources.
>>
>>Since it seems that the problem is independent of TH the problem should
>>be located in perl itself.  I'll try with a recent devel version to see
>>if it fails here too.  Scott, have you tried te above script with other
>>(older) versions of Cygwin perl too?  Since TH works with perl-5.8.6 I
>>suspect some of the changes integrated into maint perl to be problematic
>>for Cygwin, however it may also be an older bug in Cygwin perl.
>

> 	Gerrit,
>
> 	The problem was definitely exposed by Test::Harness.  Both
> 	perl-5.8.6 and perl-5.8.7 worked fine with the older TH
> 	module, and both failed with the newer TH module. I did not
> 	try even older perl versions with either TH or my test case.
>
> 	The simplest explanation is the perl behavior on cygwin has
> 	been consistently wrong for quite some time, but was never
> 	exposed in such a public way before.
>
> 		Scott

Yep, the example with the delete( $ENV   ...) shows clearly that there
is a problem with forked/spawned processes which should be resolved.

In the first place I would be glad if someone (petdance?) could fix TH
for Cygwin so that it works to install modules (well, to run the test
suites) on Cygwin.

I wonder why I got no errors when running the testsuite during the build
of perl-5.8.7, maybe some more tests are needed to cover this issue?

Gerrit
--
=^..^=