emacs issues

Mark Hadfield m.hadfield@niwa.co.nz
Wed Jul 20 03:15:00 GMT 2005

Brian Dessent wrote:
> I would suggest rxvt.  Personally, I use the "CMD.EXE prompt" as little
> as possible (i.e., not at all)

I like your turn of phrase!

> with Cygwin because frankly, it sucks
> hard.  I suspect that I am not alone.

No you are not, but I would like to quibble with your teminology.

The "Windows terminal" thingy that cmd.exe normally runs in is more
accurately termed a "console window". It is not tied to cmd.exe. You can
run bash in a console window if you want (eg type "bash" at the "Run..."
prompt) and you can run cmd.exe in an rxvt window. But I do these things
as little as possible...

So I agree with your advice: if you want to run Cygwin applications like
emacs in "no window" mode, use an rxvt terminal instead of a console window.

--
Mark Hadfield          "Kei puwaha te tai nei, Hoea tahi tatou"
m.hadfield@niwa.co.nz