1.5.18: Perl regression tests fail when lib directory is present

Andrew Ho andrew@tellme.com
Sat Jul 16 19:27:00 GMT 2005

Hello,

Thanks for the quick and complete reply!

I checked environment variable settings and they don't appear to be at
fault. First, I tried this:

     % /usr/bin/env -i PATH=/usr/bin perl Makefile.PL
     % /usr/bin/env -i PATH=/usr/bin make
     % /usr/bin/env -i PATH=/usr/bin make test

This still breaks. A similar test using this command:

     % perl -e ' %ENV = (PATH => "/usr/bin");
                 system("perl", "Makefile.PL");
                 system("make");
                 system("make", "test"); '

Also fails. I next checked my list of Windows environment variables, and
here is the summary. First the set listed as "user variables" (all three
contain path values with spaces):

     PATH
     TEMP
     TMP

And my "system variables" (OCCAMLLIB, which I guess the OCAML installer
snuck in on me, and Path are the only two variables containing path
values with spaces in them):

     ComSpec
     FP_NO_HOST_CHECK
     NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS
     OCAMLLIB
     OS
     Path
     PATHEXT
     PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE
     PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER
     PROCESSOR_LEVEL
     PROCESSOR_REVISION
     TEMP
     TMP
     windir

I don't think there are any LIB type variables here, although I'm not
intimately familiar with the guts of MakeMaker on Windows. Neither I nor
the co-worker who had the same problem have VC++ installed.

Did you try to run "make test" on the TestModule.tar.gz that I linked to?
I'm curious to see if that simple case fails (it contains both a "working"
and "broken" version, the latter has the module in a "lib" subdirectory).
And is it possible you already had Lingua::EN::Inflect installed on your
test system?

Humbly,

Andrew

Andrew Ho                                      andrew@tellme.com
Staff Engineer                                      650-930-9062
Tellme Networks, Inc.                     http://www.tellme.com/