Why does cygwin1.dll use NtCreateFile() instead of CreateFile()

Dan Ch force296-cygwin@yahoo.com
Sun Jan 30 20:06:00 GMT 2005

I noticed that cygwin-1.5.12-1/winsup/cygwin/fhandler.cc
uses NtCreateFile() instead of CreateFile() on Windows NT based
operating systems (NT, 2000, 2003, XP) for opening files.  Why?  I
checked the archives for this mailing list and noted some activity
that discuses some side affects caused by using NtCreateFile()
instead of CreateFile() such as being able to use file names that are
off limits to normal Windows applications.  But I could not find
anything that explains the benefits of using NtCreateFile() instead
of CreateFile().